When Chris leaves town, I hunker down and hit the theater — the home theater, that is. Apple TV, I love you. So, in the spirit of my Brisk client (check out some crazy claymations on Facebook), I’m going to review the 8 movies I watched in 5 days in 110 characters or less… my reviews just won’t get animated. But humor me:
- Black Swan — Pyscho thriller or psycho babble? Still not sure. Had potential. Never hit it. Thumbs down.
- Charlie St. Cloud — Don’t judge me. I’m a sucker for romantic idealism. And a kid who’s not afraid to grow up on-screen. Thumbs up.
- Frost/Nixon — Nixon became human, reachable and yes, pitiable. So did Frost. Beautiful ensemble work. Thumbs up.
- Because I Said So — Don’t see it… Because I said so. Thumbs down.
- Winter’s Bone — Wonderfully disturbing. A hard core way of life made more real by solid acting. Thumbs up.
- Milk — Why did I wait so long? A powerful life. And history is repeating itself… Prop 6 then. Prop 8 now. Thumps up.
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas — This family torn apart by Nazi power tore me apart. A completely new perspective on a horrific time. Thumbs up.
- The Kids Are All Right — Enjoyable. Potentially thought-provoking. Getting beneath the surface is tough. Do it. Thumbs up.
Brevity works. So does a good flick. Cheers.